where i've been...

My travel map

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

One more day...




So how do you pack for 10 months? Kind of like this. Here are the contents of my backpack, and then a picture of how they all miraculously fit into a backpack and one carry-on bag. So what's in there? 5 pairs of pants, 2 pairs of shorts, 1 dress, 12 shirts (of varying length sleeves), sunglasses, 2 pairs of shoes, my camera, a fleece, a rain jacket, a bikini, 2 bras, 20 pairs of underwear, 9 pairs of socks, one hat, 1 scarf, a pair of gloves, a million medications, 2 books, an ipod, a travel pillow (for the long airplane rides), a toothbrush, shampoo, etc., extra contact lenses, a journal, uno (thanks Emory), electronic travel yahtzee, sudoku, a flat iron (yes, I am THAT vain), and a garden gnome (thanks Mahalia). :) I have a feeling you will all see a lot more of the gnome in the future months. He needs a name though, so feel free to offer suggestions. :)

So, after a tearful goodbye with some of the best friends I could ever ask for, I got to LA last night, walked outside into the hot LA air at 9:35pm, and realized immediately, I had over packed. So today I will sort through the backpack and send some stuff back home...already. Last checked, the pack was about 38 pounds, and I was about 125. We'll see how those numbers change in the next months! I leave tomorrow at 1:50 from LAX and go directly to Peru. We should be there for about 2 weeks, and hopefully I will find out how easy it is to blog in other countries. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Debbie said...

The nine pairs of socks worries me...Why not 10? Why not 5? Why can't items that come in pairs be packed in nice, round numbers? :) Hope you're having TONS OF FUN!!!